LEON H. HILL HOUSE , 1910
The eclectic house has no distinct architectural style or type, but a personality all its own. Deeds, tax duplicate records and plat maps indicate that Leon and Myrtle Hill purchased the property in 1910 and built this house the same year. Leon Hill was listed in the 1920 U.S. Census as a local house carpenter and likely built the home, perhaps for resale. Mr. Hill was born in Ohio in 1880 and owned the house until selling it in 1916 to E.J. Henderson. By 1930, oil truck driver Melvin J. Harris and seamstress Hattie Harris had moved into the house remaining here until Melvin died in 1958 and Hattie sold the home in 1970.
The 1954 Cuyahoga County Building Card photo shows largely the same configuration of the house as it appears today, with a front gable and partially enclosed front porch supported by turned columns. The second floor balcony is a later addition. The roof dormer on the north elevation appears in the 1954 photo.
The house is situated on the northwest corner of Church and Hall Streets. The neighborhood is a mix of 19th and 20th century homes, one block south of older homes that are part of the National Register Historic District to the north of Maple Street; and on the western edge of the Hall Street neighborhood.
ANDREW PHILLIPS HOUSE, 1917
The Dormer Front Bungalow type home was constructed by local house carpenter W.C. Taylor in 1917, replacing an earlier house on the lot. Post-World War I marked a time of renewed confidence in America. In January 1919, the home was purchased by Andrew and Anna E. Phillips, part of the Hall Allotment. Mr. Phillips was a retired farmer in Bainbridge, he and his wife making the move to this house in Chagrin Falls.
Bungalow type houses generally follow the ideals of the Craftsman movement: “utility, simplicity, and stylistic honesty,” with popularity during the second and third decades of the 20th century. The Phillips House has the defining characteristics of the Dormer Front Bungalow type including one-and-one-half or two stories in height with bedrooms often on both floors; side gables; front facing gable or shed dormer with the front slope of the roof extending down from the roof; and originally a full width front porch which has been partially enclosed.
The Phillips family descendants retained ownership of the house until 1942. This well maintained house represents the Bungalow type home in Chagrin Falls and is located to the south of the Chagrin Falls West Side National Register Historic District to the north of Maple Street.
EDWARD VANVALKENBURG HOUSE , 1900
The VanValkenburg House is designed as a Homestead architectural type built in 1900. The Homestead house became popular at the turn of the 20th century, recognized as a utilitarian vernacular descendent of the 19th century farmhouse and early 1800s Greek Revival style house with its pediment gable. The body of the house is square or rectangular, with a simple gable roof and often a full length front porch. A bay window is characteristic of the type. A 1954 Cuyahoga County Building Card photo of the VanValkenburg House shows that a full width front porch has been removed and partial porch with turned columns added at a later date. Interestingly, vertical boards at the corners and bay window, along with banding at the windows sills and lintels suggests the earlier Stick style.
In the 1900 Census, Edward was working as a farmer and living in Mayfield Heights with his wife Susie. The local newspaper, The Exponent reported in 1903 that “Ed VanValkenburg sold his homestead property on Maple Street.” By 1910, he had returned to farming running a dairy farm in Trumbull County.
The house has been restored and updated for the twenty-first century.
K. EGGLESTON HOUSE, 1875
The prominent Italianate style home was constructed in 1875 by local master carpenter Joseph O’Malley. In the same year, O’Malley constructed his home located next door to the south at 68 Water Street. O’Malley was known for his fine craftsmanship and intricate woodworking. These houses are part of the Chagrin Falls West Side National Register Historic District and proudly represent the Victorian era of architecture in Chagrin Falls.
Owner Zeno Kent Eggleston operated his Z.K. & D. C. Eggleston Variety Store in what is now Fireside Book Shop at 29 North Franklin Street “supplying almost everything wanted by the people, hardware, cutlery, agricultural implements, boots and shoes, carpets, groceries, hats and caps, wallpaper, etc.” The Eggleston family retained ownership of the house for 70 years until selling it in 1945.
The Italianate style house demonstrates the signature O’Malley ship-lap siding. Segmental arched 1/1 window sash with bracketed hood mouldings; wide overhanging eaves with double wood brackets; cornice with rectangular patterned moulded frieze panels; low pitched hipped roof; and, prominent two-story bay window on the north elevation are indicative of the style.
BREWSTER – KENNEY HOUSE, 1928
The Brewster-Keeney House is located in the heart of the Chagrin Falls West Side National Register Historic District. The home was built under the ownership of local dentist Dr. W. Roy Brewster and his wife Grace Canfield Brewster in 1928. The Colonial Revival house was constructed in the popular style of the era at the cusp of the Great Depression beginning in 1929, and valued at $8,450. The Brewsters lived here until 1935 when they sold the house to local physician Dr. Vernon C. Keeney and his wife Jacqueline.
The wood frame home exhibits the Colonial Revival style apparent in the symmetry of the façade with shuttered window sash at the first and second floors. The center projecting bay is a more recent alteration in keeping with the style, with front porch stoop supported by paired smooth Tuscan columns covering the single entry door with side lights, and trio of six pane windows at the second floor with pedimented roof. The Colonial Revival style was a reaction to the Victorian styles of the 19th century and an attempt to restore order to the perceived excesses of the earlier era. Colonial Revival was one of the most predominant architectural styles in Ohio during the first part of the twentieth century.
The Griffiths family is celebrating fifty-three years of family ownership of the house purchased by local attorney David Griffiths and his wife Jane in 1963 from the Kenneys.
VENE L. MERRIMAN HOUSE, 1918
The 1918 Bungalow type home was altered from an original Dormer Front subtype to a Shed-Roof Bungalow subtype, likely as a practical solution for additional space on the second floor. The 1954 Building Card photo indicates an alteration made in the roof dormer from a small single sash with pediment to a larger shed dormer with trio of 1/1 sash. The house has retained its defining Bungalow characteristics including one-and-one-half or two stories in height with bedrooms often on both floors; side gables; shed dormer with the front slope of the roof extending down from the roof; and a full width front porch.
The house was constructed under the ownership of Vene L. and Zana Merriman. Mr. Merriman operated the Chagrin Falls Grocery for over 40 years; thereafter retiring to work as a clerk in the Brewster & Church’s men’s store on North Franklin Street. Vene Merriman passed away in 1957 and Zana Merriman in 1969.
The house is located in the Chagrin Falls West Side National Register Historic District and is representative of the Bungalow type home in Chagrin Falls, popular in the earlier part of the twentieth century.